[Geany-devel] Proposal: Project settings split

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Tue Nov 1 00:49:04 UTC 2011

On 11-10-31 04:50 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> One area of Geany has been annoying me for some time.
>
> At the moment project settings mix session related settings and truely
> project settings.  The session settings are really user specific
> whilst the project settings are project related.  This means that if
> the project file is in VCS it keeps updating as the session settings
> change.  You can turn session settings off, but then you lose that
> functionality.
>
> The proposal is to separate these, with the session settings stored in
> the user config directory under a projects subdir and the project
> settings stored wherever the user wants.  The options ~/projects or in
> the tree would be available as they are now.
>
> To prevent the config dir getting too cluttered the session files can
> be kept only as long as the project remains in the recent projects
> list. (maybe needs a separate length setting, currently uses
> file_prefs.mru_length)
>
> I will have some time next week, so this thread is to get ideas or
> objections sorted before then.

I like the idea of having workspaces/profiles, so that on startup (with
option to not ask again) and then later through a menu, you can choose
one of your profiles to load the settings like, indentation, long-line
marker, colour scheme, etc.

IMO, projects should only store things like build commands, paths to
project files, project meta-data, etc.

Sessions should be user-transparent things like window geometry, number
of instances opened, last project/files, etc. and maybe should be
workspace/profile-specific.

I think this is how most other IDEs I've used handle the situation if
I'm not mistaken.