[Geany-devel] Exuberant Ctags Support

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed May 25 21:41:12 UTC 2011

On 05/25/11 14:15, Lex Trotman wrote:

> Except:
>
>> 3. More general comment - if we have ctags file parsing support, it's
>> a question whether Geany should continue using the old format and its
>> generation. Tags generation would be then redundant in Geany if you
>> can do the same with ctags (and ctags is the right tool to generate
>> tags, not a text editor). Geany's documentation would then just say
>> what flags should be used for ctags in order to create all the
>> necessary fields.
>>

> Using an external tool won't work with real-time tag parsing

IIUC this is a separate concern.  The global tags will come from Ctags
format files loaded on startup and the workspace tags will still be
parsed on-the-fly from the open documents.

Personally I think Geany still generating tag files, equivalent to using
the 'ctags' program with the correct options, is a really good idea.