[Geany-devel] Exuberant Ctags Support

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed May 25 20:16:08 UTC 2011

On 05/25/11 09:03, Jiří Techet wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 17:29, Matthew Brush<mbrush at codebrainz.ca>  wrote:

>> parsing the open source files.  Dumping the list of tags parsed to a
>> plain-text (Ctags format) file seems fairly trivial.  This would remove the
>> need for the user to *have* to have Ctags on her system.

> OK, one more idea - how about generating the Geany's tag file in the
> ctags format? (I don't like the current tags binary format much.)

I think that would be best.  Tag manager isn't really a binary format,
but there's no reason to use a format that you can't punch in on a
normal keyboard.  Seeing that the Ctags format is somewhat of a
"standard", supports all of the needed information, and is used by many
other editors, it seems only logical to use this format.

Another bonus is that Ctags format has the filename in it, which could
potentially be useful for the "Go to Tag Definition" feature, maybe?

My 2¢