[Geany-devel] Build System User Guide

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun May 22 23:34:52 UTC 2011

> We can surely use another theme for the Wiki, there is an open
> discussion on the Geany mailing list though except one poster, nobody
> made any suggestions.

Yes, I understand that its the theme /template, but I looked at all
the themes on the Docuwiki website, and none seemed to limit the
width.  Maybe you will have better luck.

 And as for looks, none of them seemed to be really exciting, and they
are very blue?

>>I'm not suggesting you enable embedded HTML, just complete documents.
>>Or as I said I can do PDF if thats the only way of getting fixed size.
>
> I don't like linking to yet another document. If you are in the Wiki,
> you want just information, not download and open another document. IMO
> this is quite distracting and unnecessarily circumstantial.

Well I respect thats your preference, but in general I don't think its
a problem, clicking on a link that goes to an HTML doc rather than a
wiki page is really irrelevant to the user, it still comes up in his
browser, or pdfs come up in Evince.

In fact I would say as a rough heuristic the most useful wikis are
those that have details in separate docs, but that may be coincidence.

> I really don't want to have your great docs in a third, separate place.
> Either we put it into the Wiki or we put it into Geany's manual.
> Basically, I do think it would fit best into the manual but it would
> make the manual even bigger. This is why I personally would prefer the
> wiki, now that we have it and it just needs to get ready to use (e.g.
> by choosing a theme) and filled with a bit content.

Agree it would expand the manual too much.

> I don't expect it will take that much time.

You might be right, the markups are similar in concept, but of course
annoyingly different in detail, and rarely suitable for global edits.

>>PS what theme in what window manager do you use for screen captures
>>for the manual?  If possible I will use the same for the images to go
>>in this document.
>
> I use xfwm4 (Xfce's window manager) with my own theme.
> This had been discussed a few times ago already I think, that we should
> use a more generic theme for the manual screenshots. I don't mind much
> which theme and window manager to use as long as it is easy to get and
> dosen't look too foreign (like those weird Aqua/MacOSX themes, this is
> a no-go :D).

Ok, xfce4 I can't do.  As for whats a good theme, its no good asking
me, I'm too lazy to change from the one that came with the distro :-D

I would just add the Gnome default to the list of no-gos Ug-gly, (IMHO).