[Geany-devel] Git Switch (again)

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Tue May 10 21:05:31 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 20:12, Colomban Wendling
<lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
> Le 09/05/2011 19:35, Jiří Techet a écrit :
>> I'd say that VCS migration and bug tracking system migration should be
>> done separately and independently. Migration of the bug tracker is a
>> lot of work while migration to git is quite easy. I'd also be rather
>> cautious before moving the bug tracker to GitHub. At the moment they
>> are offering hosting of open source projects for free but there's no
>> guarantee it will be like that in the future as well. This is no
>> problem with the git repository if they get evil - you can always
>> upload the repository somewhere else and update a few links on the
>> geany's home page. However with the bug tracker it would be a much
>> more painful process.
>
> Well... this makes sense, but having the but tracker on SF and the code
> on GitHub seems a bit like a suboptimal option -- though since SF don't
> really link bug tracker and VCS maybe it'd not really change anything.
>
> But the point on the possible future of GitHub is important IMO. if we
> have no guarantee for the long-term viability -- and when I read you I
> read "I'd not be really surprised if it happened" --, do we really want
> to use this? I mean, if we need to switch to another official repo next
> year because GitHub decided not to continue to provide (free) hosting
> for us, it'd not be really good.
>
> But yeah, switching to Git doesn't even mean going away from SF (though
> it couldn't be bad :D), they also offers Git repositories. Just no fancy
> around like merge requests, reviews & co.
>
> I haven't either checked the other sites (Gitorious, ?) deeper, maybe
> they are good candidates if we don't want the BT functionality? don't
> know -- apart that I already have and account on Gitorious and wasn't
> scared by their policy.

I really have nothing specific against GitHub (actually from what I
have seen I like it better than Gitorious) and I have no evidence they
are planning to change their policy. What I wanted to say is that the
selection of the right VCS hosting site is much less critical decision
than hosting of the bug tracker. If you decide to change the git
hosting site for some reason, there's no problem - you push your
repository there, update a few links and you're done. But this is much
harder to do with the bug tracker and it should be double-checked it
satisfies all your needs from all possible perspectives.

Bug tracker switch and VCS switch are really two different things.
Actually one possibility is to really keep the main git repository
under SF and just mirror it to GitHub so people can create their
personal branches. Git is a distributed VCS so it doesn't matter where
the "master" repository is located.

In fact, there are three different questions:

1. Do we want to switch to git?
2. Where should we have our git repository hosted?
3. Where should we have our bug tracker hosted?

I suggest answering and implementing them one by one.

Cheers,

Jiri