[Geany-devel] Git Switch (again)

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Tue May 10 00:10:58 UTC 2011

Le 10/05/2011 00:43, Lex Trotman a écrit :
>> But the point on the possible future of GitHub is important IMO. if we
>> have no guarantee for the long-term viability -- and when I read you I
>> read "I'd not be really surprised if it happened" --, do we really want
>> to use this? I mean, if we need to switch to another official repo next
>> year because GitHub decided not to continue to provide (free) hosting
>> for us, it'd not be really good.
>
> Well, that risk exists for any free hosting service, even Sourceforge
> could go broke, as Jiri says easy for DVCS, especially if there is an
> up to date mirror, hard for bugtracker.

Of course; DVCS are really helpful in this kind of situations (and many
others :D).
But if we keep the idea "everything can go by", maybe moving BT too to
GitHub wouldn't be more of a problem than leaving it on SF (apart the
actual move required); and I believe that having the BT integrated with
the VCS provides some comfort (even just the auto-close feature).

>> But yeah, switching to Git doesn't even mean going away from SF (though
>> it couldn't be bad :D), they also offers Git repositories. Just no fancy
>> around like merge requests, reviews & co.
>
> I didn't think they allowed anyone to create a public clone, I think
> that is a required feature to get more involvement, anyone can say
> "I'm going to try this..." and the community can see it and provide
> guidance and testing.

No I don't think they have any fancy around the repo; it'd just make my
own life easier by using true Git :D

Cheers,
Colomban