[Geany-devel] [RFC] Plugin Template

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Tue May 3 01:54:51 UTC 2011

Hi,

I was thinking it would be useful to have a template directory with all
the "boiler-plate" for a Geany plugin under version control to get
people started quicker writing a new plugin that could become part of
the Geany Plugins project easier.  I saw something similar[1] in the
GStreamer project.

My ideas was to put in the directory the files required for the build
system(s), a generic README template, a GPL2 COPYING, etc, and a src/
dir with a basic demo plugin (maybe from the Geany plugins/ dir?).

What other common files besides these should be in there?
   AUTHORS
   COPYING
   ChangeLog
   Makefile.am
   NEWS
   README
   THANKS
   TODO
   wscript_build
   wscript_configure (are both these Waf files needed?)
   ../build/foo.m4 (how to include if it's in .. ?)
   src/foo.c
   src/Makefile.am
   configure.ac? (for building before it's in Geany Plugins proper)

What do you guys think?
Is it worthwhile?
Have I missed any important files?

I was going to follow this up with a tutorial on the Wiki explaining how
to check-out the template, describe which files needed to be modified
and how to do so, etc.  Also it would have some more general notes from
HACKING, getting commit access, the cppcheck stuff and so on.  This
would be a good companion to the plugin howto I think.

I was also thinking about doing a similar template/tutorial for a Vala
plugin.

Feedback would be appreciated.

[1]
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/pwg/html/chapter-building-boiler.html