[Geany-devel] Set Filetypes Menu - group names

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun May 1 06:08:41 UTC 2011

On 1 May 2011 14:35, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 May 2011 14:08, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
>> On 04/30/11 05:36, Nick Treleaven wrote:

Hi All,

As I have said before I don't care strongly about the current breakup,
but several people seem to.  After some thought I feel that this is
likely to be that the breakup is subjective.

But the only objective breakup I can think of is alphabetic, with
submenus a-k, l-z or whatever arrangement gives nice menus.  Now as
someone else said this raises questions of localisation, and here my
ignorance of other languages started started to show.  Having failed
to find a good answer on Google I now throw the question to the
worldwide Geany dev list:

How do you normally handle computer language names in your locale?

In locales with a Latin alphabet (ie ASCII is a subset, eg French,
German) do you a) leave the name as is, b) if the name is a word
(lisp, scheme, racket) do you translate it to the equivalent word c)
are acronyms the acronym of the translation of the phrase they are
based on

In locales with a non-latin alphabet (eg Cyrillic, Greek) do you
a)leave the name in ASCII, b) translate it character by character to
the nearest ones in your alphabet (assuming such a translation exists)
c) then if it forms a word do you translate that, and d) what about
acronyms.

And what about non-alphabetic languages if anyone is using Geany in
such a locale (there is a Japanese translation I think, but is it to
an alphabetic script or an ideographic script).

Oh and where things are not translated, what do you do if the
name/acronym forms a rude/derogatory word in your locale?