[Geany-devel] Split Window Patches

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Mon Mar 28 00:31:38 UTC 2011

On 03/27/11 09:11, Colomban Wendling wrote:
> We need a better fix then. Maybe you can try to find out why the X
> clipboard get broken on Scintilla (and fix it :D). If it get fixed, we
> will probably can re-apply the patch.

I spent a lot of time studying the Scintilla source and trying various
things there and in splitwindow.c.  I don't see anywhere that Scintilla
is breaking the PRIMARY selection.  It seems to become the owner of the
PRIMARY selection in ScintillaGTK::ClaimSelection() whenever text is
selected, but I can't figure for life of me why it it's not working.  It
seems like it should own the PRIMARY selection in each widget where
you're selecting text.  Even setting the owner of the primary selection
manually to the "original" scintilla, it still locks into the "split"
scintilla.

So after spending way too much time on this, and getting nowhere, I give
up.  I'm attaching a patch that no dev is going to like because it
behaves differently on Windows than it does on non-Windows to work
around a know issue in GTK+ that is not documented to affect Windows
differently than X windows.  Either someone else needs to find the root
of the problem deep inside GTK+ (ie. why it reparenting only breaks on
Windows), we figure out what's happening in Scintilla, we use the
slightly hacky approach of behaving differently on Windows, or we just
leave the whole plugin stay disable and let the Windows users not have
it, even though we *can* make it working.  Since it's just a plugin,
completely separate from the core code, which is already kinda hacky
with what it's doing, my opinion is just to use the patch.

It's not my call, but the patch is here if you want it.