[Geany-devel] Vala Tags

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Fri Mar 25 23:45:35 UTC 2011

On 03/25/11 08:56, Colomban Wendling wrote:
> Le 13/02/2011 23:11, Matthew Brush a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I generated tags for all of the Vala .vapi files on my system.  If you
>> want to add them to the contrib section, feel free.  Maybe there should
>> be a subdirectory for Vala tags since theres 135 different tag files.  I
>> put them up at:
>>
>> https://github.com/codebrainz/geany-vala-tags/tree/master/tags
>>
>> (To get them all at once, use the "Downloads" button)
>
> Wooow, that's a lot! :D
> Not sure we want all of them on the extra section, but at least some
> would be good to have, yeah :) (I mostly think of GIO, GTK, GDK, Cairo,
> GConf...)

Agree with those choices, but...

Not sure what it hurts to put them in contrib, they all come with a
default Vala installation (except maybe 1 ore 2), and the total size is
not very large.  As long as it was in a subdirectory I would think it
would be nice to find them all there.  Not sure if you've checked
lately, but the list of each tags file is not on the Extras page
anymore, instead just a link to the contrib directory.

Alternatively, if the Wiki idea ever happens, I could just post them
there along with tons of others, including the one that never got added
to the contrib section from this message:
http://lists.uvena.de/geany-devel/2011-February/003933.html

And a PyQT one I made for someone on IRC (can't find the file right now).

>> Also, should there be a set of default tags for Vala as there are for
>> other languages (php, python, etc)?  I've included a separate  vala.tags
>> that combines tags for vala-0.10 and glib-2.0, which could be included
>> as a default.  It is here:
>>
>> https://github.com/codebrainz/geany-vala-tags/raw/master/vala.tags
>
> Not sure, generally we prefer let the user download such tag files...
> However, this is a "core language" tag file, so maybe, not sure.

Seems like a good idea for these tags since they are pretty much
"built-ins" and we have tags for HTML, Pascal (seriously?), PHP and
Python.  Either way though, not a big deal since Vala isn't widely used
I suppose (or is it?).

> Anyway, it'd probably be good to at least use it to update std.vala.tags :)
>
>> Note: loading all 135 tags at once locks up Geany's UI for over 2 second
>> on my computer :)
>
> That's probably one of the reason why we don't distribute 135 tag files
> by default :D

Even using them all at once isn't necessarily convenient either, since
it creates the need to scroll through prototypes in the call tips
because many of them overlap.  I definitively don't think all those
should be distributed by default :)

Cheers,
Mathieu Brosse