[Geany-devel] Feature request: Comment selection

Harold Aling geany at xxxxx
Wed Mar 23 23:02:25 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 23:38, Ross McKay <rosko at zeta.org.au> wrote:
> Harold Aling wrote:
>
>>In my new job I'm also working with css files and html-templating with
>>inline php. I just instinctly selected a bit of css and pressed ctrl-e
>>to comment that, but the whole line got commented instead.
>>
>>A simple line of css:
>>.front #content .element-count-2 #block-block-1 { width: 250px; height: 135px;}
>>[...]
>
> I know this means breaking your style, but: you can split that over
> multiple lines with minimal/no impact on file size, and then it is
> easier to manage when doing such things as commenting out individual
> rules. e.g.
>
> .front #content .element-count-2 #block-block-1 {
>        width: 250px;
>        height: 135px;
> }
>
> IMHO also a bit more readable, but I realise that's my personal
> preference :)

True, but that's not my point.

Another example:

...and I want to comment out "print $extra_class;"...

-or-

$var = $var1 + $var2 / 10;

...and I want to comment out "/ 10"

There are numerous examples where "comment selection" could be handy, IMHO.

-H-