[Geany-devel] Feature request: Comment selection

Ross McKay rosko at xxxxx
Wed Mar 23 22:38:35 UTC 2011

Harold Aling wrote:

>In my new job I'm also working with css files and html-templating with
>inline php. I just instinctly selected a bit of css and pressed ctrl-e
>to comment that, but the whole line got commented instead.
>
>A simple line of css:
>.front #content .element-count-2 #block-block-1 { width: 250px; height: 135px;}
>[...]

I know this means breaking your style, but: you can split that over
multiple lines with minimal/no impact on file size, and then it is
easier to manage when doing such things as commenting out individual
rules. e.g.

.front #content .element-count-2 #block-block-1 {
	width: 250px;
	height: 135px;
}

IMHO also a bit more readable, but I realise that's my personal
preference :)

If you do this, and you use spaces not tabs for some (unfathomable)
reason, then you can "minify" your CSS to remove redundant white space
and comments by using a tool like YUI Compressor:

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/compressor/

[I have it hooked up to my build menu under key F9, for minifying
JavaScript files; you easily could do the same for CSS]
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"The chief cause of problems is solutions" -Eric Sevareid