[Geany-devel] Performance issues?

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Mar 23 13:25:53 UTC 2011

>>> Thats a bit harder, probably Yura, the plugin writer will need to take
>>> a look at the problem I'd say.
>>
>> Could it be that the real-time parser reparses all files in the
>> project instead of just the current file?
>
> No, it doesn't (or then it's a very strange bug I have to fix...).

Since performance is ok with real-time parsing but without Geanyprj
and without real-time parsing but with Geanyprj the problem must be
some kind of interaction.  Does updating the tags do something that
triggers Geanyprj in some way (eg document activation signal) which
then causes more work to be done?

>> In the mean time, I'll just disable the real time parsing.
>
> You can try increasing the minimal delay between two updates to reduce
> the lag (the very preference you set to 0). Doing so will reduce the
> "realtimeness" of the tag parsing, but should improve the performances.
> Maybe the default delay of 250ms should be changed to a longer one, 250
> being too aggressive...

Havn't used it much so far, but works ok for me at 250.  The updates
are just visible, but its not too far from the 100ms thats usually
taken as the lower limit of noticing UI delays so I think its a
reasonable compromise.