[Geany-devel] Changes to templates

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Mar 19 01:45:55 UTC 2011

On 19 March 2011 11:00, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> On 03/18/11 15:52, Lex Trotman wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure we should consider changing a config file too power-user,
>> after all the assumption is that *all* users are programmers of some
>> type.
>
> That's too bad really, because turning off the sidebar, message window and
> toolbar, the interface is strikingly similar to a basic text editor (with
> tons of power under the hood..err, bonnet).  Geany blows Gedit out of the
> water in terms of speed and Mousepad in terms of functionality, so I think
> there is a "market" to use Geany as a general purpose text editor like
> those.

But then they aren't using the filetype features anyway :-)

> I'm still curious why XFCE isn't using Geany as the default text editor
> since it's fast and light like XFCE and quite frankly Mousepad completely
> sucks.

Funny, I first came across Geany because an XFCE based distro (zen)
installed it by default.  If a distro wanted to use Geany as its
default editor and wanted everything GUI configurable then I'm sure we
would happily accept patches they push upstream.

There was some work done on a general config GUI but I'm not sure
where it got to, and if it covers filetypes files.