[Geany-devel] Changes to templates

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed Mar 16 16:10:25 UTC 2011

On 03/16/11 02:57, Thomas Martitz wrote:
> On 16.03.2011 00:29, Lex Trotman wrote:
> For CTRL+E, it's user configurable even, isn't it? Then I see no
> problem. But defaulting to //-style seems sane because it's very
> annoying to work around the nested comment problem.

So then Java and PHP and all the other filetypes should be changed to //
style comments too, since they suffer from the same issue, except with
them AFAIK, // comments are actually valid code in all versions of their
languages, unlike say C and CSS.  No matter what happens, CSS is always
going to have problems when inserting comments where nesting will occur[1].

It's not such a huge deal since its easy for users to change to their
preference, but it seems inconsistent to have the defaults be a strange
mix of the two comment styles.  The defaults, IMO, should be whatever
style is idiomatic to each particular language, and my observation is
that /**/ is far more widely used in C than C++ style // comments are.

> But for templates /* */-style should be used, I agree.

Currently it's the same setting AFAIK (in filetypes.*) for both features.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#comments