[Geany-devel] Minor "issue" with real-time tag parsing

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Tue Mar 15 17:05:53 UTC 2011

Le 15/03/2011 08:21, Matthew Brush a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I notice the items in the symbol list disappear when you're inside a
> global "string literal" (or #include using quotes, but not <>) that
> isn't closed yet.  Only the symbols below the unclosed quotes disappear.
>
> This is probably not a new thing, just noticeable now that the symbol
> list is updated in real-time.  My guess would be that the parser just
> refuses to handle the rest of the file in this case, but maybe it should
> skip to the next line and keep going or something, if this is even
> possible.

That's it: the parser you use (C for example) don't do magic with some
invalid content. Of course, now it's more noticeable, 'cause as Jon
said, this haven't changed :)
Dumb parsers like most regexp-based ones are probably not affected by this.

A proper solution would probably be to make the parsers handle this
gracefully, but there is a limit to what we can do anyway. For example,
it'd be really difficult, if not impossible, to find what to do with
wrongly matched braces.

> I just thought I'd point it out since I noticed (it's visually
> distracting).  It's not a majour problem or anything.

I can suggest you to workaround this by increase the minimal time
between to automatic updates (there is a pref in /Preferences -> Editor
-> Completions/) if you often get annoyed by it when typing short
strings or whatever.

Cheers,
Colomban