[Geany-devel] Ideas on increasing quality of plugins

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Mar 13 08:57:36 UTC 2011

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 03:57:59 +0100, Colomban wrote:

Hey,

I didn't read all of the thread, so I might be missing something. But
still.

>> PS we are only talking about gcc flags here but I think we only
>> supprt gcc even on Windows, right Enrico?

Nope.
We try to support ANSI C and so support any compatible compiler out
there. Though, some years ago I tried compiling with MSVCC on Windows
and Geany didn't compile out-of-the-box. I don't remember the exact
problems but I also didn't care enough. MSVCC is probably not worth to
be supported :D.
But there are still other compilers like Intel's icc or suncc (is it
called suncc? well, the compiler on Solaris).

>Actually I check whether the compiler understand each flag, so it would
>be easy to support any compiler. I only talk about GCC warnings because
>I only know GCC's flags, but if somebody knows some other, we might add
>them.

Do you want to integrate these flags into the build system? I don't
think this is a good idea. Such flags should be set outside of the
build system by the developer/user, not automatically.
This is why they are mentioned in HACKING.

We could maybe add a little wrapper script into the scripts/ directory
which sets a bunch of compiler options we like, for convenience.

Below is a list of flags I currently use for Geany though I didn't
touch this list for months actually.

export CFLAGS="-Wall -O2 -g -pipe -march=athlon64 \
	-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 \
	-DGEANY_DEBUG \
	-DGEANY_DISABLE_DEPRECATED \
	-fno-common \