[Geany-devel] G_VA_COPY problem

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Sat Mar 12 12:45:12 UTC 2011

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 11:28:51 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> tagmanager/mio/mio-memory.c uses G_VA_COPY() but on my system this is
> >> defined as va_copy() (by glibconfig.h, I think).
> >>
> >> When I compile with my usual flags including warnings and -ansi,
> >> va_copy is not defined. Any ideas how to solve this?
> >>
> >> It seems to be a GLib issue that may be solved in newer versions - I
> >> still have glib2-2.14.4-1.fc8. Is anyone else using -ansi?
> > Hum, that's problematic, right... This problem still happens with GLib 2.28.
> > However, it may be quite hard to fix in the GLib side: they find the
> > proper implementation at configure time, and if none found fallback to
> > manual copy (implementation depends on the target then).
> > The problem is that GLib has been built without -ansi on your system and
> > found a working va_copy, but -ansi disabled it a compile-time...
>
> Ouch nasty, raises the point that maybe we shouldn't be building the
> application with different compile flags to the major binary
> libraries, there ciould be other potential problems.

Personally I've never built GLib or GTK and just use my distro
packages. But I do need to test that Geany builds with ANSI C for
portability. So far there hasn't been a problem. If this really is bad
practice, fair enough. But the way I see it, GLib could have left this
until compile time with gutils.h:

/* Define G_VA_COPY() to do the right thing for copying va_list
variables.
 * glibconfig.h may have already defined G_VA_COPY as va_copy or
__va_copy. */
#if !defined (G_VA_COPY)

I'm not convinced there is an ABI problem with -ansi here because C99
may be ABI compatible with ANSI C. The -ansi switch just tells the
compiler not to allow using va_copy, it does exist in the glibc library.

Anyway, I've #undef'd G_VA_COPY from my system glibconfig.h and
everything seems OK again, no link errors.

Regards,
Nick