[Geany-devel] Ideas on increasing quality of plugins

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Sat Mar 12 09:54:09 UTC 2011

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 20:49:10 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 March 2011 20:21, Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de> wrote:

> >> Unfortunately, believe me that non-fatal warnings are use to be
> >> ignored by unexperienced programmers, believing that if their code
> >> compile it is then OK.
> >> And I don't see why a warning upgraded to an error on every build
> >> would be worst than a syntactical problem (as I described above
> >> previously)? In a typical situation, the developer who writes the
> >> plugin should get the warning (well, the error), see his plugin
> >> don't build, care (hopefully :D), and then fix it directly even
> >> before committing and then before anybody else could face the
> >> problem. Don't you think?
> >
> > Just thinking about adding a flag which is activating a paranoid
> > check inside default build system and which lead into failing
> > buildsin such a case. This would give plugin devs the chance to fix
> > their code on one hand and unexperienced people which just want to
> > test to have a build they can do their stuff with.
>
> Yeah, so long as it doesn't make the whole system too complicated and
> is well documented, it has to be easily usable and maintainable :-)

Yes, didn't had something else in my mind.
For autotools this could be a new target with cpp-flags as on waf it
could be an option on command line.
Something, and I bag you to don't take me to serious, similar to:
make devbuild or ./waf build --developer

Cheers,
Frank

--
Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de>