[Geany-devel] Ideas on increasing quality of plugins

Yura Siamashka yurand2 at xxxxx
Sat Mar 12 08:31:40 UTC 2011

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 02:53:47 +0100
Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:

> Unfortunately, believe me that non-fatal warnings are use to be ignored
> by unexperienced programmers, believing that if their code compile it is
> then OK.
> And I don't see why a warning upgraded to an error on every build would
> be worst than a syntactical problem (as I described above previously)?
> In a typical situation, the developer who writes the plugin should get
> the warning (well, the error), see his plugin don't build, care
> (hopefully :D), and then fix it directly even before committing and then
> before anybody else could face the problem.
> Don't you think?

Sorry I have not read all thread but here is my 2 cents. Warnings as errors are bad because different compiler version can generate different compile warnings. So It can be pain for developer to find and fix all warning for all compiler versions in the world.  This issue is the same for for all other validation tools (valgrind, etc). Actually such maintains bother can be enough reason to abandon geany-plugins and move plugins to somewhere else.

--
Yura Siamashka <yurand2 at gmail.com>