[Geany-devel] Ideas on increasing quality of plugins

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Mar 12 00:51:09 UTC 2011

On 12 March 2011 11:44, Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
> Le 12/03/2011 01:32, Lex Trotman a écrit :

>>> Feel free to suggest more :)

>>> Since I set -W*error=*implicit-function-declaration, the implicit
>>> function declaration warnings are treated as errors and then aborts the
>>> build (unless one uses make -k of course).
>>>
>>> We could downgrade this to a warning, but I think this is a problem
>>> important enough to trigger an error.
>>
>> The general consensus seemed to be to not disable plugins from the
>> nightly builds or SVN just because they fail some tests, so these will
>> have to all be warnings.
> It's a bit more complicated IMO: if these warnings are on by default in
> everyone's build, a code failing with them would just be as invalid as
> an invalid C code (e.g. breaks everyone's build, and isn't acceptable at
> all).

Well on the development code base warnings should not break the build,
if they do thats another problem :-)  In fact even errors should also
not break the whole build, just the specific plugin.

> The problem here is that there is currently a plugin that can't be
> compiled with them, so enabling them would mean disabling the plugin
> that used to build.
>
> Maybe the solution is to wait for Alexander to fix these problems, and
> then enable the "errors".

But the next patch commit on any plugin could fail one of the checks,
so then the whole dev build fails again, thats no good, its got to
still build with warnings, its a development build after all.