[Geany-devel] Ideas on increasing quality of plugins

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Fri Mar 11 18:37:14 UTC 2011

Le 08/03/2011 22:29, Colomban Wendling a écrit :
> Le 08/03/2011 19:58, Enrico Tröger a écrit :
>> On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 11:06:16 +0100, Frank wrote:
>>> I like that idea. Can someone of you build up a howto on how to use it?
>>> I did try valgrind in past and wished for some advice ;)
>>>
>>> One this is done we can think of automatic tests with some of this
>>> tools.
>>
>> I, and obviously, Colomban as well, though indepdent from each other :D,
>> recently played[1,2] with cppcheck. A small tool for static code
>> analysis which actually found a few things in the geany-plugins
>> repository.
>>
>> As I'm currently reworking the system to create the nightly builds, we
>> could integrate such checks into the nightly builds, maybe run cppcheck
>> on the sources after the builds and present the results somewhere on
>> nightly.geany.org.
> I think it's a good idea.
>
> I did a few checks, and this is what I suggest:
> 1) run cppcheck on `make check` and abort if it detects an error;
> 2) enable by default (though in a portable manner) some compiler flags
> such as -Werror-implicit-function-declaration [1] [2]
>
> Maybe some other tests might be good, but I think this is a start.
I'd like to commit this to the Autotools build system:

1) run cppcheck on `make check`;
2) enable by default, if compiler understands them, the following
warnings (discussed in other mails of this thread):
 * -Werror=implicit-function-declaration
 * -Werror=pointer-arith
 * -Wundef
 * -Wshadow
 * -Wwrite-strings

There are currently 2 problems that would prevents the tests to pass:
1) The debugger plugin don't compile with
-Werror=implicit-function-declaration (this should be fixed --
Alexander, could you fix them please?);
2) cppcheck reports an error on geanylatex plugin; but I know Frank
already fixed this and so has probably only to import the fix in the
geany-plugins copy.

1 is really problematic since it require one to disable the debugger
plugin to be able to compiler the others, 2 is only problematic when
running `make check` so not so important in the meantime Frank fixes the
problem.

Do you have objections, comment or whatever?

Cheers,
Colomban