[Geany-devel] Adding .gitignore files to geany-plugins

Matthew Brush matthewbrush at xxxxx
Thu Mar 10 01:47:41 UTC 2011

On 03/09/11 11:26, Frank Lanitz wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 20:21:27 +0100
> Enrico Tröger<enrico.troeger at uvena.de>  wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 20:15:31 +0100, Frank wrote:

>>> But based on feedback earlier inside this thread, the svn:ignore list
>>> seems not to be complete.
>> This seems like a good time to make it more complete...:D.
> Dammit. I knew there was something ....

You can use the file/patch I sent on the original message to get a
current list of what needs to be excluded/ignored, to update the
svn:ignore property.  The main problem I see with using the svn:ignore
property is that I don't think it's settable for all the people using
git-svn (might be able to now, but not from what I read online), so it's
unlikely those plugins that generate files that should be ignored are
going to have the svn:ignore property updated.  The other thing is that
anyone using the Git mirror isn't going to get those excludes/ignores,
however, having used git-svn for a little bit now, I don't even
understand why anyone would use the Git mirror over git-svn for development.

The one thing I do like about .gitignore files is that you can have one
global one for the whole project, and then one in each plugin dir that
needs one, and then the plugin author just needs to tack on his
generated files as required.

I must say, being a newbie to community development and version control,
I kinda freaked out bit when I almost commited 50 new files polluting
the whole tree with noise on my first commit.  Now that I've got my end
setup properly, it's not as much of an issue, but hopefully at least it
will result in the svn:ignore property being updated and maybe help with
DRY for each developer (ie. maintaing their own ignores).

Cheers,
Matthew Brush (codebrainz)