[Geany-devel] Real-time tag parsing (again) (was Geany FTW - better autocompletion)

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Mar 6 14:11:38 UTC 2011

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 15:05:51 +0100, Thomas wrote:

>Am 06.03.2011 14:25, schrieb Enrico Tröger:
>> On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 00:57:32 +0100, Colomban wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all!

>>> I'm happy to announce that I've now committed these patches to
>>> trunk, with some little improvements -- an option in the Preference
>>> dialog to configure it, MIO integrated, better code in some places,
>>> etc.
>> Great stuff!
>>
>> A few comments:
>> - I fixed the Waf build script and the Windows Makefiles, there were
>> just minor adjustments necessary and now it builds with Waf and on
>> Windows. Yay.
>> - you use va_copy() in MIO. va_copy is C99 while all the other va_*
>> functions are C89. So far, we tried to stay compatible with C89 even
>> though it is old (and it is old, and old). At least some years ago,
>> there were actually users who had to use a C89 compiler.
>> Maybe we should just stop C89 support as we are in 2011 in the
>> meantime...
>>
>> Most important things is the licence of MIO.
>> I think it's possible to release Geany as GPLv2+ with MIO included
>> even though it's GPLv3. What I don't know is what's the overall
>> licence of the Geany package is then. I'm not that good in licencing
>> stuff :). And where do we need to state Geany contains GPLv3 code?
>
>Since you link statically, the whole binary package is GPLv3 since
>GPLv3 is not compatible to v2. For the source distribution it's up to
>each individual source file.
>
>IMO it would be wiser to put mio GPLv2+ also. If it's ever packaged
>separately it can be changed to GPLv3.
>
>OTOH I don't suppose you sue each other for GPLv2 vs GPLv3 issues, do
>you? :)

Most likely not, but the licencing isn't only an issue of ourselves but
also quite relevant for third parties like these strange guys like users
or packagers :D.