[Geany-devel] Overwriting a link on save as

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Fri Mar 4 14:29:48 UTC 2011

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 00:56:14 +0100
Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:

First of all, congratulations!

> The main problem (apart the work needed :D) I see is that AFAIK it's not
> trivial to see whether a file is a hard link in a portable manner.

Every *nix regular file/directory name is a hardlink; there is no
"primary file name" and "additional links". Normally one would check
the number of links with stat(2).

However, one hardlink is no different from another; they are all THE
file to be saved. So why would anyone expect a new file to be created
when saving to the actual file?.. I side with Lex here: if there's
something to be done, it should be for the symlinks only.

--
E-gards: Jimmy