[Geany-devel] Patch Tracker

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Thu Jun 9 17:40:26 UTC 2011

Am 27.05.2011 23:31, schrieb Matthew Brush:
> Hi,
>
> Would it be useful for someone with admin rights on SourceForge.net to
> create a "Patch Tracker"?  I've seen some projects with this[1].

We, at Rockbox, are in the process of abandoning our patch tracker.
Because it has grown to host over 400 patches, nice ones as well as bad
ones, which nobody looks at.

We made the following observation after years with a patch tracker. If
core developers are rare or lack time or can't otherwise regularly look
at the patches (which is the case for Geany too), it will become a place
to let patches rot.
The problem is that a patch tracker creates the idea that once a patch
is uploaded the project is responsible for them and not the contributor.
This means the contributor is less motivated to work on the patch to
make it committable or to pester developers.

The way I see it is that a patch tracker will not work for Geany.

Best regards.