[Geany-devel] Tagmanager warning

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Thu Jun 2 04:51:51 UTC 2011

On 06/01/11 21:37, Lex Trotman wrote:
> On 2 June 2011 13:08, Matthew Brush<mbrush at codebrainz.ca>  wrote:
>> On 06/01/11 18:33, Lex Trotman wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear tagmanager wranglers,
>>>
>>> I get the following compilation warning on current SVN.
>>>
>>> tm_workspace.c: In function ‘tm_workspace_create_global_tags’:
>>> tm_workspace.c:382: warning: ignoring return value of ‘system’,
>>> declared with attribute warn_unused_result
>>
>> Yeah, it's an ugly hack in the tags generator code, I think you had pointed
>> to that exact spot when someone asked about the pre-processor option (where
>> it strips out G_BEGIN/END_DECLS) because the c.c parser for whatever reason
>> can't handle it.  It's described in the FIXME comment here[1].
>>
>> Immediate solution would be to use the return value from system() (duh!) and
>
> you mean like:
>
> int i = system...
> if(i)
> {
>      not really sure what now??
> }

I guess even just:

int unused = system(...);
or
(void)system(...);

I have no idea how to fix it for real though, but I guess it would be
easy-ish to at least not need to use system() there (do the replacement
thing in pure C/regex).

>> the right solutions is to conjure up the demons of hell and beg them to
>> apply some sort of ritualistic voodoo magic to enchant the c.c file to do it
>> right (since I don't think anyone understands it)  :)
>
> Kinda short supply on the hounds of hell today, would pusillanimous
> puppies do, they could lick it to death?

Heh.

I wonder if this was fixed in anjuta-tags[1] fork of Exuberant Ctags .

[1]
http://git.gnome.org/browse/anjuta/tree/plugins/symbol-db/anjuta-tags/c.c