[Geany-devel] Proposed patch to fix issues with command line file loading

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Jan 30 22:03:44 UTC 2011

On 30 January 2011 21:40, Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 07:10:36 +1100
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I can live without it. But my view is biased, since I use Geany with x11
>> > session management, so the main instances are pretty much permanent.
>>
>> I'd have thought that you would be even *more* upset that the
>> filemanager shoves extra files into your "permanent" sessions :-)
>
> No. With session management, you can open the projects in secondary
> instances, and let the primary instances catch the double-clicking and
> command line. The secondary instances retain their status after restart,
> even if the primary instance does not exist any more (thanks, Eugene).

Niiiice, I thought you said multi-instance sm wasn't working?  but
sounds the preferred way if it is (except for multi instance issues
talked about elsewhere)

> Maybe I shoudn't have used the word "main" instances for the ones that
> I mainly use... :) To clarify, they are both primary, on desktops used
> exclusively for a single project, and secondary.

Good idea, keeping things segragated will help to mitigate
multi-instance issues (remember most of them are caused by liveware
failures)

>> In other words --in-new-session is independent of session management
>> and is about temporarily interrupting the session without modifying
>> it. [...] the pseudocode modification below doesn't save the session
>> on in-new-session
>
> IMO, --new-instance should not save the session, since it never loads
> it; combined with xsm, that's plenty of "temporarily interrupting the
> session without modifying it" to make in-new-session unneeded for me.

The proposal is for a Geany without sm, if we add sm then it all needs
to be looked at again in that light.