[Geany-devel] Proposed patch to fix issues with command line file loading

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Sun Jan 30 10:40:52 UTC 2011

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 07:10:36 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > weltall <weltall2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> So now the idea of having the new file open in a new session if geany
> >> was not opened is not wanted anymore?
> >
> > I can live without it. But my view is biased, since I use Geany with x11
> > session management, so the main instances are pretty much permanent.
>
> I'd have thought that you would be even *more* upset that the
> filemanager shoves extra files into your "permanent" sessions :-)

No. With session management, you can open the projects in secondary
instances, and let the primary instances catch the double-clicking and
command line. The secondary instances retain their status after restart,
even if the primary instance does not exist any more (thanks, Eugene).

Maybe I shoudn't have used the word "main" instances for the ones that
I mainly use... :) To clarify, they are both primary, on desktops used
exclusively for a single project, and secondary.

> In other words --in-new-session is independent of session management
> and is about temporarily interrupting the session without modifying
> it. [...] the pseudocode modification below doesn't save the session
> on in-new-session

IMO, --new-instance should not save the session, since it never loads
it; combined with xsm, that's plenty of "temporarily interrupting the
session without modifying it" to make in-new-session unneeded for me.

> PS the pseudocode modification below doesn't save the session on
> in-new-session

Indeed. Yet you can make your own modification easier than tweaking
the existing startup, not to speak about the 2nd weltall patch.

--
E-gards: Jimmy