[Geany-devel] Proposed patch to fix issues with command line file loading

Eugene Arshinov earshinov at xxxxx
Sat Jan 29 08:35:48 UTC 2011

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 11:11:27 +1100%
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Since its Saturday I've looked back at the thread and, at least for my
> own benefit, I'd like to try to summarise what I think the *preferred*
> behavior is.
>
> I haven't attributed suggestions to anyone since many have
> participated in the thread but if I've misrepresented/misunderstood
> anything please comment.
>
> 1. Geany has one default unnamed session (per user) and named sessions
> (projects).
>
> 2. A Geany instance can have only one session open at once.
>
> 3. When the first Geany is started or Geany is started with
> --socket-file pointing to a non-existent file:
>
> a. if the "do not reload session" preference is set or -s specified on
> the cl, do not load the default or a previously open named session,
> load a session specified on the command line or else start a new
> default session
>
> b. if the "do not reload session" preference is not set and -s not
> specified, load a session specified on the command line or the
> previously open named session or the saved default session
>
> c. a. or b. can be overridden by a --in_new_session option that opens
> a new default session.
>
> d. any files on the command line are opened and added to the session
> that results from a, b or c.
>
> e. the -i option is ignored
>
> f. when Geany is closed save the current session (default or named)
> and save which is the current session so it can be reloaded.
>
> 4. When a Geany is already running and no --socket-file or
> --socket-file points to an existing file and no -i is specified:
>
> a. if there is no session file specified on the cl and
> --in_new_session is not specified then load the files in the instance
> of Geany that matches the socket file and add them to the open
> session.
>
> b. if a session file is specified or --in_new_session is specified
> then close and save the current session in the instance of Geany that
> matches the socket file and open the specified/new one then open the
> specified files and add them to the session.  --in_new_session
> overrides a specified session file.

Do I understand correctly that if a type-3 instance matching the
socket file is running, it will close its session and all files and
load files and (possibly) session specified here?  If true, using
--in-new-session for file managers etc. does not seem acceptable to me
as user looses everything he has in already running type-3 instance
every time he opens a file in a file manager.

> c. having opened files in the existing instance, quit this one and
> don't save anything.
>
> 5. When a Geany instance is running and -i is specified:
>
> a. start a new instance of Geany, and behave as in 3. with "do not
> reload session" set.
>
> b. On close if the current session is the default session do not save
> it, if it is a named session save it but do not save that it is the
> current session.
>
> Issues about other preferences and other multiple instance behaviors
> are not the topic of this thread and have been ignored.
>
> I think after the patch, except for the new --in-new-session option,
> the behavior is close to this but correct me (or the patch :-) if I'm
> wrong.
>
> The --in-new-session is for files opened by file managers or downloads
> from firefox etc so that the current session is saved and not mucked
> up by the new files.  This behavior was requested several times in the
> thread but since it isn't the right thing all the time I am suggesting
> making it an option.  The previous session can then be restored by
> Project->Recent projects-> for named sessions or a new reload default
> session menu item.  Or make the new menu item "reload last session"
> and let it figure out which it was.

BTW, great summary.