[Geany-devel] Proposed patch to fix issues with command line file loading

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Fri Jan 28 02:01:06 UTC 2011

Le 27/01/2011 20:09, Dimitar Zhekov a écrit :
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:20:26 +0100
> weltall <weltall2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2) trying to open a file (eg from double clicking in nautilus) will
>> screw your session as command line loading of single files ignores your
>> session opened files, except if geany was already opened.
>
> SciTE will do the same, and so will UltraEdit (the very old versions I
> used). If you want a permanent session, create a project.
I don't think so.
First, it is an inconsistent behavior: ATM, opening a file with e.g.
`geany myfile` will NOT result on the same state depending on whether
Geany is already opened or not. If Geany is already running, the file
will be appended to the session, but if Geany wasn't running, the
session not only don't load, but will be lost (since a new one is saved
on quit).

Second, I feel this rather annoying. Why have a session support at all
if the session might be lost so easily, only by a "miss of attention"?
(forget that Geany isn't running when opening a file)
I had often lost some of my sessions because of this, and felt it quite
annoying -- though since I generally always have Geany open, it's not
*that* often.

I personally use projects for the projects I work on a lot, and for
which I want almost all its files opened, and the default session for
everything else. Say, a standalone file to edit, a file part of a source
tree I don't work on enough to have a project file for it, etc.
This does NOT mean that my session is something I don't care to loose.
Sometime I just want to be able to re-open Geany as it was the last
time, perhaps because the work is not finished yet but I have to close
my session. And I feel very annoying if I need to open a file later and
figure out after opening it that Geany was not running, and so that I've
lost all my old work space.

And anyway, why use the session if you don't care about the opened files?

I haven't tested the patch yet, but the raised problem is a real concern
IMHO. Well, it concerns me :)

Regards,
Colomban