[Geany-devel] Proposed patch to fix issues with command line file loading

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Jan 27 23:29:22 UTC 2011

On 28 January 2011 06:09, Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:20:26 +0100
> weltall <weltall2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've noticed various issues with file loading from command line:
>> 1) if the option load last session is not enabled project files can't be
>> opened from command line: this happens because the code to handle them
>> is wrapped in a prefs.load_lastsession if so the only way to load them
>> from command line is having that option true.
>
> Certainly a bug.

Yes, but the patch never loads the project session from a project on
the command line since main_load_project_from_command_line is only
ever called with FALSE?

>> 2) trying to open a file (eg from double clicking in nautilus) will
>> screw your session as command line loading of single files ignores your
>> session opened files, except if geany was already opened.
>
> SciTE will do the same, and so will UltraEdit (the very old versions I
> used). If you want a permanent session, create a project.

Need to support multiple default sessions. Too complicated??

>> So to fix those issues I've reorganized the code in the
>> load_startup_file function in order to:
>> 1) load the project files ignoring the session if a project file was
>> specified at command line
>> 2) allow to load more files in addition to the project file (removing so
>> the limitation imposed there artificially - possible improvement to this
>> would be adding a flag to open_cl_files as argument in order to avoid
>
> Actually, the check if argv[1] is .geany is mainly for the file
> managers. You associate geany with the text files, and since .geany is
> text too, it automatically works. About the limitation of loading only
> the project file, I'm not sure, but loading a project and opening
> additional files at the same time does not seem very common.

Agree, need to be careful since the extra files will be added to the
project session which is unlikely to be what you want??