[Geany-devel] GTK version

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sat Jan 22 11:06:20 UTC 2011

 On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 23:15:32 +0000, WILLIAM FRASER wrote:
> I'm in the process of adding my plugin to geany-plugins. I've come
> across
> problems as several library functions are only available from version
> 2.12,
> and some from 2.16.

 For your plugin, you can require GTK 2.12 or 2.16 or whatever you want.
 If the user has an older version, your plugin just can't be
 compiled/used.
 That's your decision.

> Is there a reason why we're sticking to version 2.8. If not, could we
> move
> to a more recent version. I should be able to adapt my plugin, but it
> would

 People are still using older GTK versions, or better on older
 distributions.
 I think there are different reasons for these people, some don't want
 update, others can't or are not allowed(e.g. in companies) or
 something.
 And so far, there was no real reason to increase Geany's minimum GTK
 requirement.
 Some time ago, we increased the version from 2.6 to 2.8.

 I personally would be fine with a bump to GTK 2.12 but well, if we
 would
 loose users with such a change, it maybe isn't worth.