[Geany-devel] Spell check plugin

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Jan 20 20:49:39 UTC 2011

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 20:56:11 +1100, Lex wrote:

Hey,

>>> Hi Frank,
>>>
>>> Its failing the check for enchant >= 1.3
>>>
>>> I had enchant 1.6 installed but not enchant-dev, with enchant-dev
>>> installed it passes.
>>>
>>> But for some reason I don't understand 0.19 was working without the
>>> dev package?
>>
>> I'm remembering there was something with gtkspell/enchant some time
>> ago. Maybe a late impact of this. But this was a long, long time
>> ago. Enrico might can tell more about here.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Frank
>>

>Ok, since it is now working for me I'm just wanting to make sure that

I have no idea why you could compile the plugin without enchant-dev, it
is required since 2008-06-19.

>requiring the dev package is what is intended, to maybe add the need
>for the dev package to the README and check that the configure check

Let me quote from SpellCheck's README:

"Furthermore, you need to have installed enchant with its development
files (libenchant-dev or enchant-devel)."

:)

>isn't still flaky so it doesn't cause confusion for others.

For testing, I changed the required enchant version to 1.9 in
build/spellcheck.m4 to simulate that the library is missing and after
re-running ./autogen.sh, configure said that the spell check plugin is
not to be build.
That seems correct to me. If not, I'm afraid Chow need to give it a
look. The autotools magic in the g-p project is just scary to me :).