[Geany-devel] Improving usability and handling for Geany-Plugins

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Jan 19 19:13:03 UTC 2011

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 19:26:02 +0100, Colomban wrote:

>Le 19/01/2011 18:45, Dimitar Zhekov a écrit :
>> On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 23:13:51 +0100
>> Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>>
>>> In fact, I propose to do exactly this: all plugins of the combined
>>> geany-plugins releases should have the version of the geany-plugins
>>> release itself. Everything else would just cause confusion, IMO.
>>
>> So we are going to have my_plugin version 0.5, followed by 0.20, and
>> then 0.6 or 0.7? Which one is the latest?

0.20.
I was never convinced maintaining plugins within g-p and outside is a
good idea. AFAIK there are only a few plugins for which this actually
matches (geanylatex, geanyvc). I just fail to see how this could be an
advantage. I only see the many disadvantages beginning at users'
confusion and ending at duplicate maintenance efforts.
And for plugins which are part of the combined geany-plugins project,
these should all have the version of the g-p project itself as their
are released together as one big package. What's the point if you bump
the version of your plugin X within the g-p project to 0.4.2 if it's
ever only released as part of g-p which also has a version number?
Not to mention the mess for package maintainers.

Please note, it's just my opinion. I won't decide anything.

>I personally don't think that g-p is only a release facility, most
>plugins that are part of it are also developed on g-p, etc., and
>generally don't have standalone release (AFAIK).

Ack.

>> Or, if the plugin version always matches Geany version (not in
>> releases only), then the plugins have no their own version at all.
>That's why I don't really feel good with the combined version (though I
>don't really care finally): plugins don't really have a version that
>shows something about their status.

Do any version numbers really represent the project's status? I agree
in a ideal world this should be the case but I'd also say that in most
of open-source projects version numbers are something more like just a
statically increasing number, preferrably starting with 0 :).
I personally, don't care about version numbers of other projects, to
judge the project status and/or quality, code reviews, ChangeLog or
NEWS items and usability are more important and more meaningful, based
on my personal experience.