[Geany-devel] [RFC] Releasing Geany-Plugins

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Jan 16 17:05:34 UTC 2011

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 14:51:22 +0100, Dominic wrote:

>Am Sonntag, den 16.01.2011, 13:37 +0100 schrieb Frank Lanitz:
>> On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 00:57:12 +0100
>> Dominic Hopf <dmaphy at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hey guys,
>> >
>> > while talking with hyperair on IRC about the Geany-Plugins release
>> > this week, we realized that there we're some small things which
>> > could have been better and improved in the release process. I
>> > suggested to write the steps down which have to be done and the
>> > result is... call it "check list", "guidelines" or "piece of text"
>> > or $somewhat
>> >
>> > Check it out here and feel free to improve:
>> > http://typewith.me/i1NkZGwVq5
>> >
>> > The idea is to add this text to SVN repository of Geany--Plugins as
>> > soon as everyone is okay with it.
>>
>> Maybe we could also add some part for hacking a plugin. Some docu is
>> already avaialble at e.g.
>> http://www.geany.org/manual/reference/howto.html but still some parts
>> e.g. of integrating with build system, GCC-compiler flags for
>> debugging, gdb, .... might be missing.
>
>Then we'd call the document rather something like "Geany-Plugins
>guidelines" or "Geany-Plugins HowTo", because it wouldn't just to the
>releasing process, of course.
>
>I appreciate any improvement, feel free to just add it to the text
>there. I prepared a new paragraph where it may could be placed then. :)

Great ideas so far.
I would suggest to split the content into two documents as they address
different people:

the release process could go into a file called 'making-a-release' as
we already have it for Geany (thanks to Nick). This file is mostly
useful for the release manager, aka Chow.

The writing a plugin howto stuff could go into some file like
'plugin-guidelines' or just HACKING. Or whatever you prefer :).

Just my 2 cents,