[Geany-devel] Developing database query plugin

Jonathan Daily biomathjdaily at xxxxx
Thu Feb 24 13:39:17 UTC 2011

[0] Before I take a shot at your questions, I have to say 'Great
Idea!'. I work with huge decision matrix databases and it can be a
pain to switch to a console, connect to the database, and query the
matrix just to find out which values I need to include in the code.

[1] Ideally, I would think that the database connection would be user
customizable - as in specifying a web browser or file manager. I know
that as only a dabbler SQL, sqlite has been just fine for my purposes.
If you must pick one interface, though, I think postgresql is fine.

[2] It seems like most of the config files are stored in plain text
config file format, AKA:

[header]
option1=value1
option2=value2

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 8:17 AM, Mike Thorn <mthorn at iqguys.com> wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> I'm working on a database query plugin written in Vala and have a couple of
> questions regarding the general process of working with the geany community.
>
> First, when is the right time to request that my plugin be added to the
> geany-plugins repo? My general principle as a developer has always been to
> start using VC from the start, but maybe you don't want half finished
> plugins in your repo.
>
> Second, is there anyone interested in assisting me in working on this? I'm
> fairly new to GTK/Vala, but not to programming.  I've got the plugin loading
> up a new window, connecting to a database and executing queries, and very
> nearly displaying the data, but I've got a lot of questions that I don't
> have the answers to, such as:
> * What's the best way to make this plugin connect to different databases?
> Right now it's working with postgresql only
> * What's the best way to store the database config? Ideally I'd want the
> option to store the connection information in the project data.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> --
> --
> Mike Thorn, Web Developer