[Geany-devel] Developing database query plugin

Mike Thorn mthorn at xxxxx
Thu Feb 24 13:17:32 UTC 2011

Hello all:

I'm working on a database query plugin written in Vala and have a couple
of questions regarding the general process of working with the geany
community.

First, when is the right time to request that my plugin be added to the
geany-plugins repo? My general principle as a developer has always been
to start using VC from the start, but maybe you don't want half finished
plugins in your repo.

Second, is there anyone interested in assisting me in working on this?
I'm fairly new to GTK/Vala, but not to programming.  I've got the plugin
and very nearly displaying the data, but I've got a lot of questions
that I don't have the answers to, such as:
* What's the best way to make this plugin connect to different
databases? Right now it's working with postgresql only
* What's the best way to store the database config? Ideally I'd want the
option to store the connection information in the project data.

Thanks for your time.

Mike Thorn, Web Developer