[Geany-devel] Ideas on increasing quality of plugins

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Wed Feb 23 10:10:02 UTC 2011

Am 23.02.2011 04:01, schrieb Lex Trotman:
> Of course on the other hand because the maintainers are volunteers
> with limited time this process slows changes, but IMHO this is
> necessary.  Having more maintainers for a piece of code is of course
> the solution, but as we are finding, its hard to actually do for a
> small project.  Even for core there was a deafening silence when I
> recently suggested that more people volunteer to be maintainers.

I don't think that silence meant anything other than the people that can
decide haven't read it yet. But yea, I would welcome a discussion about
this in the core. There's great potential contributors on this list, but
they're all sitting on their patches and nothing moves forward.

> Of course the Geany community also has a responsibility to Geany users
> (not least ourselves :-) to make sure that the whole Geany ecosystem
> offered as an "official" release meets reliability and usability
> standards.  On this basis, Frank's concern that some plugins don't
> meet those standards is important, but I don't think that it is
> reasonable for the community to impose work on maintainers without
> discussion (thats this thread) and a reasonable period for improving
> things, otherwise the community is undermining the maintainers
> responsibility, and I certainly would get upset if I were a
> maintainer.

You seem to have misunderstood that letting other people help fix bugs
is voluntary is has nothing to do with undermining. And I didn't suggest
to share maintainership completely, but just accept help to fix the most
immediate bugs (such as crashes) in a timely manner. Nobody wants to
take plugins away from developers.

Best regards.