[Geany-devel] Ideas on increasing quality of plugins

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Tue Feb 22 22:39:21 UTC 2011

Am 22.02.2011 23:26, schrieb Colomban Wendling:

> I don't think so. In general, open source projects are maintained by a
> few people that know (and hopefully trust) each other (hey, at least
> they worked together for a while) and third-party code is contributed by
> patches the maintainers have a chance to review.
> So it's not exactly the same picture here I think since we have one
> repository for several projects.

Yea, but we don't talk about the normal code changes, but about minor
but needed bug fixes. This is a lot different.

>> I didn't mean to say I would like to do work on someone else's plugin
>> (as in new features). Just fix the most immediate problems. If the fix
>> not a few-liner or no brainer I wouldn't bother with it any further
>> anyway (but instead just disable the plugin for the time being).
> I understand your purpose, but I doubt that such a policy would please
> anyone.
> Yes, I agree that IF the people that commit those fixes you talk about
> are only the ones that are competent to do so, it'd be acceptable IMHO.
> But with such policy it's likely that at some point somebody will feel
> too confident and "fix" somebody else's code wrongly. And there will be
> the drama, the hard feelings and the collapsing of the whole project --
> I know, it's a pessimistic POV :D

Yes, very pessimistic. I'm a bit more optimistic and have trust that
people can at least consider their competence before touching and
committing to foreign code. And even then, code changes can always be
undone.

Perhaps I'm just biased by how slow things are currently going in the
Geany core, where more collaboration (by more people) would help a lot
(I even think it reached a dangerous level of standstill). But I always
think the more people the merrier. Currently every plugin author does
his own thing with their plugins and communicate very little about it.

I'd like it better if each plugin had a main maintainer and everyone
else would be a co-maintainer. Now we have one and only one person
working on each.

Best regards.