[Geany-devel] Ideas on increasing quality of plugins

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Tue Feb 22 21:30:40 UTC 2011

Am 22.02.2011 21:40, schrieb Colomban Wendling:

>>> Well... I'm puzzled. Disabling unperfect plugins is a good idea in
>>> theory for the stability of Geany, but... how would be plugins tested
>>> then?
>>>
>>> However, I agree with making official builds with strong error checking
>>> enabled (at least -Werror-implicit-function-declaration comes directly
>>> to my mind). This is static checking that will show most obvious
>>> problems, and hopefully it'll encourage their maintainer to fix them.
>>> However, finding the right flags will not be easy... for example not
>>> allowing any implicit cast may have a false-positive effect where
>>> unexperimented developers might hide a part of those with a cast where a
>>> proper fix would be better.
>> I agree. While we may know they have known problems, how would we know
>> in the future if they're disabled and receive no testing?
>>
>> I think all plugin developers should get more easy about others touching
>> there code. I could probably fix a number of problems in other people's
>> plugins, but I'm afraid of the surrounded discussion (post or pre commit).
> I don't think that touching other one's code without her agreement is a
> good idea. There are several reasons for this that comes to mind:
> * some people will find this offensive (e.g. "you can't even code right
> and you won't even understand if I tell you");
> * some people will find it cool, but won't necessarily try to understand
> any further (heh, it's already fixed), so would likely reproduce
> mistakes later;
> * and unfortunately, some people might change things with not enough
> care or understanding and break other things -- this is easier than we
> might think...
> * and some people would not feel confident of somebody else commit --
> and this would probably be my case if it's somebody I hardly know.
>
> And AFAICT, people who would need help are generally likely to accept it
> when proposed (probably more than if it was imposed).

It's all open source after all, and part of it is working together with
others on the same code. All of your points contradict with that spirit.

I didn't mean to say I would like to do work on someone else's plugin
(as in new features). Just fix the most immediate problems. If the fix
not a few-liner or no brainer I wouldn't bother with it any further
anyway (but instead just disable the plugin for the time being).

Best regards.