[Geany-devel] Ideas on increasing quality of plugins

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Tue Feb 22 19:04:17 UTC 2011

Am 22.02.2011 19:36, schrieb Colomban Wendling:

>> So my 1st suggestion is to remove all plugins which do have known issues
>> and don't compile with some -W-flags (needs to be defined) from common
>> build until these are fixed. Also remove plugins which don't bring
>> propper documentation as well are unmaintained for some time.
> Well... I'm puzzled. Disabling unperfect plugins is a good idea in
> theory for the stability of Geany, but... how would be plugins tested then?
>
> However, I agree with making official builds with strong error checking
> enabled (at least -Werror-implicit-function-declaration comes directly
> to my mind). This is static checking that will show most obvious
> problems, and hopefully it'll encourage their maintainer to fix them.
> However, finding the right flags will not be easy... for example not
> allowing any implicit cast may have a false-positive effect where
> unexperimented developers might hide a part of those with a cast where a
> proper fix would be better.

I agree. While we may know they have known problems, how would we know
in the future if they're disabled and receive no testing?

I think all plugin developers should get more easy about others touching
there code. I could probably fix a number of problems in other people's
plugins, but I'm afraid of the surrounded discussion (post or pre commit).

What I also wonder; is there a way to prevent plugins from crashing
geany entirely? I'd rather have a notice "Oops, Plugin Foo crashed".

Best regards.