[Geany-devel] plugins.geany.org now updating automatically via cronjob

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sat Feb 12 13:19:07 UTC 2011

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 13:59:27 +0100, Dominic wrote:

>Am Samstag, den 12.02.2011, 12:24 +0100 schrieb Enrico Tröger:
>> On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 03:05:44 +0100, Frank wrote:

>> Not sure whether every hour is really necessary. It's just that it
>> probably takes some server resources...but to be honest I didn't know
>> what the script does so I can't judge on that at this point.
>>
>> But as you said in your first mail, plugin authors should keep the
>> information in the READMEs consistent with the released version.
>> This doesn't make much sense to me. The README in SVN should reflect
>> the latest development changes.
>> But I agree to have a version online at the website which fits the
>> released version. So, IMO it's better to adjust your script to
>> generate HTML from the tagged READMEs. And this is just necessary
>> after a release, not every hour.
>> What do you think?
>
>I wouldn't generate the website from tagged releases, since they
>shouldn't be changed after the release from my point of view. Plugin
>developers may want to improve other things on their README files, in
>special when seeing something isn't displayed that optimal on the
>website, I think it is a more good idea to generate the website from
>trunk. But this would imply, the informations contained in the README
>files are consistent with the released tarballs.
>
>Otherwise, if we generate the website from tagged releases, this would
>mean something would be fucked up until the next release, in the worst
>case.

True.
My suggestion was based on your statement, the README content should
match the released plugin version.
Maybe this isn't necessary at all. I don't see READMEs as
the documentation of a plugin and so the README should be as up to date
as necessary and should not match a months old release state.
Just my 2cents.

>few other thoughts to this topic:
>
>* have an additional README.stable

I think this would generate just many redundant information without
real benefit. Additional, it could confuse users who are unsure which
README to read.

>* and maybe generate an additional plugins.geany.org/svn/

Similar as above.