[Geany-devel] plugins.geany.org now updating automatically via cronjob

Dominic Hopf dmaphy at xxxxx
Sat Feb 12 12:59:27 UTC 2011

Am Samstag, den 12.02.2011, 12:24 +0100 schrieb Enrico Tröger:
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 03:05:44 +0100, Frank wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 00:04:32 +0100
> >Dominic Hopf <dmaphy at googlemail.com> wrote:

> >> Maybe it would be also a good idea to increase the frequency to every
> >> hour or so? Tell me what you think.
>
> Not sure whether every hour is really necessary. It's just that it
> probably takes some server resources...but to be honest I didn't know
> what the script does so I can't judge on that at this point.
>
> But as you said in your first mail, plugin authors should keep the
> information in the READMEs consistent with the released version.
> This doesn't make much sense to me. The README in SVN should reflect
> the latest development changes.
> But I agree to have a version online at the website which fits the
> released version. So, IMO it's better to adjust your script to generate
> HTML from the tagged READMEs. And this is just necessary after a
> release, not every hour.
> What do you think?

I wouldn't generate the website from tagged releases, since they
shouldn't be changed after the release from my point of view. Plugin
developers may want to improve other things on their README files, in
special when seeing something isn't displayed that optimal on the
website, I think it is a more good idea to generate the website from
trunk. But this would imply, the informations contained in the README
files are consistent with the released tarballs.

Otherwise, if we generate the website from tagged releases, this would
mean something would be fucked up until the next release, in the worst
case.

few other thoughts to this topic:

* have an additional README.stable
* and maybe generate an additional plugins.geany.org/svn/

Regards,
Dominic

--
Dominic Hopf <dmaphy at googlemail.com>
http://dominichopf.de/

Key Fingerprint: A7DF C4FC 07AE 4DDC 5CA0 BD93 AAB0 6019 CA7D 868D