[Geany-devel] libpeas and geany's plugins

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Wed Feb 9 18:30:58 UTC 2011

Am 06.02.2011 08:51, schrieb Lex Trotman:
> On 6 February 2011 18:04,<joshua.rh at comcast.net>  wrote:
>> Hello,
>>        I know I'm new to this, so I'll try to explain this as coherently as
>> possible.  Talking on irc.gnome.org/#libpeas it seems we might need some
>> introspection annotations to use libpeas' gobject bindings.  I'm not sure
>> what kind of work this would mean, but it gave me a few more questions.
>> Would it be better to just replace the geany plugin interface with libpeas?
> Replacing the existing interface would require all current plugins to
> be re-written. IMHO thats unacceptable without a long deprecation
> period to allow plugin maintainers time to do so.

I also haven't been able to have a deeper look at libpeas. But plugins
currently access Geany functions via #define wrappers. Wouldn't it be
able re-write the API without exposing this change to plugins. Ii.e.
stay API-compatible, using the existing #defines.

I would be surprised if libpeas couldn't do that, but then again I
haven't looked enough to actually know.

Best regards.