[Geany-devel] libpeas and geany's plugins

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Feb 8 17:34:37 UTC 2011

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 20:28:35 +0100, Colomban wrote:

>Le 06/02/2011 19:00, joshua.rh at comcast.net a écrit :
>> [...].  What if we wrote the libpeas plugin, and if it
>> seems like it would be good to have libpeas as the main plugin
>> interface (for maintainabilities sake), we can slowly port existing
>> plugins.  If not, we'd still have the libpeas/gobject plugin for
>> python/js plugins. What does everyone think of that?
>That it would probably be a huge piece of work, but that'd be cool
>(support for many languages using GI) if it works. So if you would do
>it... :)
>
>However, Geany devs don't seem to be huge fans of GObject code, so not

Not entirely true.
At least for me, I didn't know much about GObject code when I began
writing Geany. And (much) later, I played with GObject code and think
it's quite ok though it still doesn't feel like real object-oriented
code but this is probably more a limitation of C, obviously :D.
To sum it up, I do like GObject, to some extend, but I'm afraid it's
just too late for Geany's code base to be converted.
At least for me, as my free time doesn't allow such thoughts.

This is also the reason why I don't participate such discussions about
big structural changes. I just don't want to get in the way of new
developments without having the chance to contribute anything useful in
a time period will we are able to live in...:D