[Geany-devel] libpeas and geany's plugins

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Feb 7 00:10:54 UTC 2011

On 7 February 2011 06:28, Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
> Le 06/02/2011 19:00, joshua.rh at comcast.net a écrit :
>> [...].  What if we wrote the libpeas plugin, and if it
>> seems like it would be good to have libpeas as the main plugin interface
>> (for maintainabilities sake), we can slowly port existing plugins.  If
>> not, we'd still have the libpeas/gobject plugin for python/js plugins.
>> What does everyone think of that?
> That it would probably be a huge piece of work, but that'd be cool
> (support for many languages using GI) if it works. So if you would do
> it... :)
>
> However, Geany devs don't seem to be huge fans of GObject code, so not
> sure how much painful it would be for them if it get integrated to the
> core...

I suspect its more a case that there is a lot of existing non-GObject
code and a lot of effort would be required to convert it for little
gain (for the Geany core).

Making the GObjects just in the interface and having them wrap a
pointer to the existing structures means no changes to core are needed
immediately.  They might occur over time if that has any advantage for
core but thats a different question.