[Geany-devel] libpeas and geany's plugins

joshua.rh at comcast.net joshua.rh at xxxxx
Sun Feb 6 18:00:00 UTC 2011

> Replacing the existing interface would require all current plugins to
> be re-written. IMHO thats unacceptable without a long deprecation
> period to allow plugin maintainers time to do so.
>
> Therefore you have to make the new interface an additional one.  You
> can create the introspect-able objects you want to give a clean simple
> interface without relating it to an existing largely non-oo interface.
>
> How would you relate these interface GObjects to the existing internal
> data structures that contain the data?
>
> > That way we'd have C/Python/JavaScript support out of the box, and would
> > avoid duplication work/code.? Would it be difficult to port geany's API to
> > libpeas?
>
> Probabably, its not designed for that. (caveat I have only glanced at
> libpeas doco)
>
> Cheers
> Lex

Maybe that would work.  What if we wrote the libpeas plugin, and if it seems like it would be good to have libpeas as the main plugin interface (for maintainabilities sake), we can slowly port existing plugins.  If not, we'd still have the libpeas/gobject plugin for python/js plugins.  What does everyone think of that?

Josh