[Geany-devel] libpeas and geany's plugins

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Feb 6 07:51:50 UTC 2011

On 6 February 2011 18:04,  <joshua.rh at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>       I know I'm new to this, so I'll try to explain this as coherently as
> possible.  Talking on irc.gnome.org/#libpeas it seems we might need some
> introspection annotations to use libpeas' gobject bindings.  I'm not sure
> what kind of work this would mean, but it gave me a few more questions.
> Would it be better to just replace the geany plugin interface with libpeas?

Replacing the existing interface would require all current plugins to
be re-written. IMHO thats unacceptable without a long deprecation
period to allow plugin maintainers time to do so.

Therefore you have to make the new interface an additional one.  You
can create the introspect-able objects you want to give a clean simple
interface without relating it to an existing largely non-oo interface.

How would you relate these interface GObjects to the existing internal
data structures that contain the data?

> That way we'd have C/Python/JavaScript support out of the box, and would
> avoid duplication work/code.  Would it be difficult to port geany's API to
> libpeas?

Probabably, its not designed for that. (caveat I have only glanced at
libpeas doco)

Anyway thanks for your time,