[Geany-devel] Just another github question: Easy way to pull pull reuqest for testing purposes?

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sat Dec 31 14:10:33 UTC 2011

On 12/31/2011 05:45 AM, Thomas Martitz wrote:
> Am 31.12.2011 13:03, schrieb Matthew Brush:
>> Now you can try out the changes and make some fixes, maybe with new
>> commits. If it's out of date with the main `master` branch, you can
>> rebase it on top (which will probably make the Pull Request feature
>> not realize you've "accepted" the pull request on Github):
>>
>> $ git rebase master
>> [hopefully not fix conflicts]
>
> Please, DO NOT EVER rebase other people's work if you're going to push
> it into the main repo. It breaks their history and thus all of their
> clones. And it probably, as mentioned, breaks github pull request
> handling as well.

If they're working on a topic branch (which they should be), once their
topical changes are committed to master, they have only to do:

   $ git branch -D my_pull_requested_branch
   $ git pull origin master # to get the "real" new changes

And they still get attribution and the history isn't littered with
sloppy commits :)

I could be mistaken though, like I said, not a Git expert.